DIY Copper Pipe Ladder
Here is my next of what will be many copper pipe projects! A DIY copper pipe ladder. We found a ton of copper pipe in our the apartment when we started renovating that the previous owner had used to pretty up his speaker system wiring and I'm trying to re-purpose it fun ways throughout the house. Copper pipe projects are great because they are pretty easy and not very messy - that's my kind of DIY! The first thing that I made at the beginning of the summer was a magazine rack. That project turned out great, I actually use it to stick my ipad/ laptop in now because there are way too many magazines in our house for that little rack to handle.
The next copper pipe clean-out project that I tackled is this awesome decorative copper-pipe ladder. These are everywhere on pinterest and it has been the perfect addition to my living room!
If you are re-using old copper pipe and you want it to look shiny and new again start by cleaning and prepping the pipes. You can read all of my copper cleaning and copper project preps tips in my first copper project post (DIY copper pipe magazine rack). If you bought new pipes this is less important but there are also good tips for removing sticker residue and printed on text that you might want to remove from new pipes.
Here's how the ladder turned out! blankets ready to go for fall!!!
My DIY was inspired by Brittany Makes - this is an awesome tutorial on how to assemble the ladder and I only deviated in a few ways.
Here are my notes on the project!
- I used 3/4" pipe instead of 1/2" - This was only because 3/4" is what I had around and they whole point doing these copper DIYs is to clean-out what I have! I think I like the look of the 1/2" more (I's a little less clunky) but if I was buying material for a project like this the price of the copper would really add up (even in 1/2" it gets expensive) so consider replacing some of the rungs with wooden dowels like this version.
- I used 14" wide rungs instead of 10" - The original tutorial is for dish towels I was looking for something to put blankets on so I went a little wider. Also a little extra width looked better with the 3/4" pipe.
- I used shorter top pieces - The original DIY calls for extra wide top and bottom pieces. I went with shorter top pieces because I thought the proportions were a little better for my space.
This project depleted a lot of the pipe stock pile so I'm not sure what I will make with what I have left but I am so excited with how this turned out!!! Hope you like it too!